Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Science Fair Projects

This year I had two of my kids that had to do a science fair project. That meant a lot of work for each of the kids and a lot of work for the Momma! They came up with their ideas (I tried to get them to do the same project so it would be a little less work for me, but they wanted to do different projects), they had to do their own hypothesis, research (although I did help them with what to search- what questions to ask)Then came the day of the experiments themselves. Cameron did his on paper airplanes- more specifically which design would fly best and would different paper change the way it flies, and what would happen if weight was added. We were able to go to the church to test it at the gym. That way the conditions were always the same. Here he is testing out the planes and measuring out their distance.

McKenzie chose to do hers on chromatography with Skittles. Basically she separated the colors that were used in each of the Skittles. Had I thought about it I would have bought a bag that had all different types of Skittles (the newer crazier colors) instead of the bag that had red, yellow, green, purple, and orange. But Oh well… it still worked! Here are some pictures of Kenzie working on her project.
Both kids received A's on their project so that made them and me very happy. Cameron was excited that he got an honorable mention certificate for his project, and I was happy that he didn't move on the district (is that bad?!) McKenzie chose to only do her project for a grade, and not enter it into the judging (totally fine by me!) Now that those two major projects are done I can breathe a little easier… maybe.

Here is Cameron's board...
And this one is McKenzie's...

No comments: