Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Story Written

I just realized that I have not written down an experience that Abby and I had a few months back.
It wasn't too very long after Mom passed away. Probably mid fall sometime. Abby was having a hard night. She hadn't had a hard night like that for awhile. She was sad and crying. She missed her Grandma Cindy terribly! She didn't understand why she had to die. Why did Heavenly Father need her to go back to heaven to help Him? She wished that she could have said good bye to her, could have seen her, talked to her on the phone, anything. My mom had an amazing relationship with each of her grandchildren, so Abby was no exception. I told her my testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I told her what I thought Grandma was doing. It was hard, and I got teary eyed. How do you explain to a child what really doesn't make sense to you? I felt the Spirit strong there that night in her bedroom. We talked of the many good memories that we had of Grandma. Then, every night before she goes to sleep I "program" in a dream for her (Mom used to do this to me at night time too!). When I asked her what she wanted to dream about she pondered it for a few moments. Then she looked at me and said, "Could I dream about Grandma?" I have "programed" in Grandma before so I told her I would. She went to bed, and I went to my room as well.
The next morning I had pretty much forgotten about Abby's issues the night before. Abby came bounding into my room bright and all too early. I was already awake, but not wanting to get out of bed yet I was looking on Facebook. Abby crawled into bed with me to snuggle for a little. As I was scrolling down I passed a comment my brother B.J. had made. His profile picture had a picture of Mom. Abby looked at that and sat straight up and said, "Mom! Guess what?!" I had no idea what had her so excited so early in the morning. So I asked her what. "Grandma spent the whole night with me!" Tears brimmed my eyes as she told me about the things she and Grandma did. They talked a lot (I don't know what they talked about). She said that they played a game together too. Then, just before morning she told Abby that she needed to go and be with Grandpa Bob for a while, but that she would always be with her when she needed her.
Even now, as I write this I get emotional and can feel the Spirit bearing witness to me that Mom is not gone. She will be with me whenever I need her. I had a thought the other day as I was driving home from the grocery store. I thought that it was so sad that Mom is going to miss all these important days for my children- baptism, priesthood ordination, graduation, missions, weddings, birth of children, etc. Then a voice came to me- it was the voice of my mother. She said, " I will not miss a single thing. The only thing you will miss is seeing me there. But I will be there!" I am so grateful to know that my Mom is still there. She may be separated from her body right now, but her spirit is as alive as ever. I am reminded of the temple sealer that Heather, BJ, Jenni and I talked to the Tuesday after Mom's death. He said that Mom will be able to help us more from the other side of the veil than she would have been able to when she was alive. I have felt that. I have felt my Mom's influence in my life and the life of my kids. So, THANK YOU MOM! Thank you for always being with me when I need you most.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

This is so beautiful Katie. What an amazing testament that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us. Love this and love you!