Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Near Brakedown

For those you you who have kids in school, you will know exactly what I am talking about. Those who don't yet have that luxury will soon find out. Anyways here is what happened yesterday...
The night before the kids would not go to sleep. We put them to bed at their usual time 8:00. Well, by 9:30 they were still up, still being naughty. I really don't know what time they went to bed because i was done with it and locked myself in my bedroom. I was hoping that because they went to bed so late that they might sleep in- just a little. Not to be. At 6:45 the first little bounder comes in. i try to ignore her and pretend that I am sleeping. That worked for the first 5 minutes until the other two came in. So, I send them downstairs to watch TV until I can face the world. As they are going down the stairs McKenzie starts yelling that Abby is wet- yes, her diaper that she wears to bed still the tab had broken sometime during the night. She was wet her bed was wet and the jammies were wet. So much for staying in bed. I get her cleaned up, put the sheets in the washer and turn around just in time to hear McKenzie and Cameron screaming and yelling at each other- for who knows what reason. I put them both in timeout for 5 minutes.
Lets just say it went down hill from there. Attitudes flying, tempers fl airing, tears flowing. By lunch time I had had it!!! I screamed and yelled at them ( and felt like dirt right after). Luckily I always make them have a quiet time right after lunch. Abby sleeps and the other two either read or play quietly by themselves for about an hour.
So i called Pug and told him that I needed the night off. Before I packed up the kids and drove to Pugs work I really tried to be good and play a game with them. Cameron was crying because his pawn was sent home (we played Trouble) and he didn't want to play any more because it wasn't fair, McKenzie was yelling at Abby because she moved her pawn, Abby was crying because she didn't get her turn...
I was more than ready to drop them off! It was really nice. All I did was walk around a bunch of different stores, looked at EVERYTHING without kids crying, took myself out to dinner, and plain did just nothing.
When I came home I was nice and relaxed. I was able to do so much thinking about ways to fix these problems. One of the things that I decided I was going to start doing is maybe 2 nights a week after the kids go to bed I am going to go out walking. So, if there are any other moms who want to go walking with me without kids let me know (I don't have an exact day or time yet). Hopefully then I will be able to deal with my kids a little better the next day.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I need a walk!!!! I'll go with you!

Heather said...

Oh man, I hate those days. I am happy that you were able to get away and feel better. Us, mom's, need breaks like that. I wish I lived closer to you because I would be on board for walking!!

Lo said...

#1 reason why year around schools are so wonderful. I love to walk too. Anytime.

Tony said...

Ugh! My heart is breaking for you. :( I'm so glad you didn't let it get the best of you and could get away from it all. kids + summer = trouble!!! You know you can call me anytime don't you?? Do we need to get together? -Melissa

Laurie said...

If I can even find a way to get away I would love to go for a walk! Yowsers on the kids in school thing! Guess we will be finding out soon! I have always liked the idea of year round schools, how come more districts don't do that?!