Wednesday, August 10, 2011

From the mouths of babes

I have been meaning to post this for awhile now, but I just never found the time. But I knew that I really needed to get this posted before I forgot.
Pug's Grandma, June Fetzer, died back in at the beginning of July. Abby and Grandma had a very special bond. Nobody could quite explain it, but there it was. Grandma struggled near the end of her life with remembering who people were. She called me Kelly and couldn't remember McKenzie or Cameron's names. She could remember Pug some of the time. BUT she always remembered Abby.
The two of them would sit together on the couch and "read" books together, or just hold hands. Abby always gave her hugs and kisses. Grandma loved Abby and Abby loved Grandma.
A few weeks before we left on our trip Grandma suffered a stroke. In fact they said there were 7 blood clots found in her brain. We weren't sure how long she had left. She progressed amazingly and just before we left she was in a nursing/rehab home. We went to say our goodbyes- certain that she wouldn't be around when we came home. We walked in her room, she didn't recognize any of us. Until she saw Abby. Her face beamed. She knew Abby.
Well, Grandma passed away a few days before we got home. Luckily we were able to make it to the funeral. Which was very nice. There were times after Grandma died that Abby would get sad and teary eyed when I was putting her down. She just said that she "Weally misses Gwandma." We would talk for a minute and then she would be okay and go to sleep.
The last time she said this was a few weeks ago. But she added to it. I asked her what was wrong. She said, "Am I going to forget Grandma?" I told her that she might forget a few things. Then she said, "I am starting to forget heaven, and Jesus." As you can imagine tears were forming in my eyes as I talked with her about it. She explained in detail somethings from heaven. She remembered a chandelier, but not like any she has seen here. And a table, a big table to fit lots of people. She said it was nice, but she was forgetting.
After I finished our conversation I was amazed! She was able to describe in such details things that I am sure she has never seen here. Kids are amazing, and the veil is very thin for these little ones. I hope you don't forget Abby, but unfortunately you probably will.



2 comments:

DIAZ BLOG said...

What a sweet girl....I wish I could remember heaven. It might help me know a little better what my Mom is up to. I think the veil is a lot thinner for children...maybe that's why babies can't talk for a while....who knows! I'm glad she has such a special relationship with her Grandma.....I am sure she will have visits from her...I believe the angels are closer then we think!

Heidi said...

That just gave me chills reading it. I'm positive that kids have such a good memory of heaven for a few years but just don't know how to express it. That was an amazing story! Thanks for sharing!